2023 Henry Cunningham Essay Competition
Closing Date: 15th Dec 2023 4.00pm | 03 October 2023
The Pat Finucane Centre is delighted to announce their final Henry Cunningham annual essay competition. This is part of a ten-year award project secured through the Department of Foreign Affairs in memory of Carndonagh teenager Henry Cunningham who was tragically killed in August 1973.
This essay is open to any fourth-year and fifth secondary school student in the Inishowen Peninsula, with an award of €500 (to the student).
- €500 for student with best essay;
- €500 for the school the student with the best essay attends;
- Runner up prize of €250 for second best essay.
The essay should be:
- 1500-2000 words, with each school producing a shortlist of five essays.
- Essays can be hand-written or typed.
- Essays can be in English or Gaelige.
- Each essay should be inserted in a poly pocket with the Name of Student and Name of School.
The topic for the 2023 essay will be:
‘Justice Delayed is Justice Denied.’ Do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer with some examples.
Our suggestion is that the deadline for the annual competition should be Friday 15th December 2023, at 4.00pm which allows students time to research and write their essays.
The date and venue for the presentation of the winner will be announced at a later date.
This competition is funded by the Department for Foreign Affairs Reconciliation Fund.